Monday 11 November 2013

rambling on about … my novel writing journey … day eleven

 

DAY ELEVEN - MONDAY 

Words written today – 2,134

Total words written – 21,849

Words remaining – 28,1511

Days remaining – 20

 

~ Monro

I have added a few twists and turns to the storyline, now I have to concentrate on what I am going to do with them.  A Facebook friend asked if I will post some of my work – I felt like replying that what I have written is a pile of garbage and not worth publication of any kind yet.

Shall I give you a sample paragraph?

“Before he opened the door he peered through the grime on the left hand window. It showed a sofa, a bed, a table and  two chairs. The place looked as though the old woman had just left it; her cup and plate on the table and the bed unmade.

The other window revealed a small kitchen area with a water heater on the wall, and an ancient two ring gas stove beside a small chipped sink, there were no other conveniences which would have made life a little easier.

He turned the key in the lock, it was stiff from disuse, he put his shoulder to the swollen door to open it. Once inside, he almost wanted to call out hello as though someone was expecting him, he turned round quickly feeling a presence in the room. There was no one, but he still couldn’t shake the feeling. So, this is my inheritance, he thought. Not much is it. There were no curtains at the windows - a drop leaf table stood in front of one of them, where a geranium shrivelled in its pot, and lining the kitchen windowsill there was a collection of shells and other things that the old lady must have picked up on her travels. All the furniture was old and battered and everywhere was layered in dust and looked uncared for with dust motes floating in the still air; it had been quite a while since the shack had been lived in, so none of this was a surprise.  A small black stove sat in the corner the only source of keeping warm in winter, but, inevitably the whole place smelled of damp and decay so he threw open the windows to let the warmth of the sun in.”

 

During the month of November, whilst I am joining in with The National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) attempting to write a 50,000 word draft novel, I will be posting about my progress (or not) every day.  I have removed the comment box so as not to have too many distractions, but will switch it back on again at the end of the month, when, hopefully, I will have completed my mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment