Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Indoor Gardening with Bulbs

I am never quite sure when the right time is to plant bulbs for indoor containers.  I know they take about 10 weeks of chilling before they produce shoots so about now seems right to get some early blooms for decoration indoors.  I have already planted a hyacinth in a glass container with just water and put it in the fridge to chill plus a couple of crocus and a paperwhite daffodil - but I want something a bit more showy than a single bulb.  Scillas and grape hyacinths or even snowdrops en masse in a lovely dish or bowl would definitely cheer me up on a cold winters day. 

Pinned Image
source
Here are a few ideas I found on Pinterest.

Pinned Image
source
I love this idea - I think I would put a bit of gravel in the bottom of the tumblers before putting the tulip bulbs in - then all you have to do is keep the water topped up.  You have to agree they look lovely.

Pinned Image
source
The best thing about it is that when the bulbs have finished flowering you can pop them out into the garden borders for next year.

Pinned Image
source

It's a good way of extending the gardening season and bringing some colour into the home and all for a couple of £'s. 

Pinned Image
source
I used to try and get hyacinths to bloom by Christmas but I have only managed to achieve this once but I now have a lovely selection of hyacinths in the borders as a result, and their scent, when I am weeding amongst them, is a bonus.

Pinned Image
source
I have a small collection of vintage china tea cups - I think I will plant some bulbs in them as Christmas stocking fillers for my friends - now all I have to do is buy some bulbs!

21 comments:

  1. The tulips in the glasses look really effective. I'm not very good with house plants at all, but I do usually manage some hyacinths and am trying to persuade some amaryllis bulbs into life at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought of raising tulips in a glass vase indoors like that, but they look stunning. Definitely food for thought...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a feast for the eyes! Some wonderful ideas here....thanks for that.
    I love to see a flowering bulb over Christmas to give a little cheer.
    I particularly like the iris.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far I've not had much luck with indoor bulbs. I'm not trying this year but no doubt will again in the future. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely ideas. Somehow I never get around to doing this, perhaps this year I will - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the fact that I haven't bought any bulbs this year .... at least not yet. Things may change. Are those tulips really just growing in water? Not some kind of growing medium gel? Though I don't know whether growing medium gel even exists. Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have wanted to start bulbs, too. Show us how to do it. Bulbs in the dark days of winter do tend to lift the spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the tulip bulb idea, I'm going to give that a try in Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The idea for hyacinths in china teacups is a good idea for little presents. The tulips in glasses is new to me, may be I give it a try. I think it is always difficult to find the right time to put the buls into glasses, because I want their show in January after Christmasdays. I have bought Hyacinth bulbs but have not yet put them on the glasses, I still wait a couple of weeks. Than I put them on water in the dark cellar until the 2nd of January.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the tulips in the glasses Elaine. How pretty. I need to do that with some tulips for the winter doldrums. LOL! Paper whites and I do not get along so this may be fun to do tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such an inspiring post - and a timely reminder - so thank you!

    Indoor bulbs really lift the spirits during those long, dark days of winter when we can't get outside to garden. My aunt used to grow such a variety of bulbs in this way - it meant that she had bulbs flowering indoors throughout the winter months. Then they were all planted out in spring and after a few years, her garden was a blaze of spring colour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen some of the photos on Pinterest too. I've never tried growing bulbs indoors. It would be lovely to have something flowering during the winter months. I'm looking forward to seeing how your indoor bulbs do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Elaine, I couldn't get through winter without spring bulbs.These are all really nice ideas. I like the moss used with the crocus and the tall glass vases that would support the tulip leaves that always seem to droop indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the china cups idea is very charming. Can't do indoor bulbs here because of nosy cats. But I'm looking forwarding to getting some ranunculus in the ground soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Elaine,

    The tulips in the glasses look really effective. You have wonderful idea!

    I'm not very good with house plants at all, but I do usually some kind of research on Indoor Flower Gardening

    ReplyDelete

  16. Cool website buddy I am gona suggest this to all my list of contacts.

    cheap grow boxes

    ReplyDelete
  17. Every week-end I used to pay a fast visit this site, because I’d like enjoyment, because this web site conations certainly fussy material.infographic design

    ReplyDelete
  18. If somebody wants expert take on the main topic of blogging next I advise him/her to go to this site, continue the fussy job.car insurance

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am happy to see that you have provided such an incredible and impressive blog for us.visit us

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey to everyone, it’s my first visit of the blog site; this blog includes awesome and actually best info for the visitors.
    Android App in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now this is in actual fact cooperative. It’s very openhanded of you to share this with us.

    central booking staten island

    ReplyDelete