Wednesday 26 October 2011

Late bloomers and other things

Verbena bonariensis
Some sort of Acer I guess
Village tree at the crossroads
Village trees
At the weekend I finally dug up the Dahlias - they were looking pretty bedraggled and sorry for themselves - they haven't had a good year.  I decided against leaving them in the ground as I want to plant them at the allotment next year.  I lost all of last years' tubers during the winter so I am going to wrap them in newspaper, as Mark Willis suggested, keep them in the shed, and hope for the best.
I usually get rid of all the leaf litter that covers the flower beds, but this year I am leaving it for the bugs and beetles to deal with as I am trying to have a more insect-friendly garden - my motto this year is don't be too quick to tidy up.

Euphorbia
I had a wander round with the camera to see if I could find any autumnal photos, as everyone else's blogs I read are full of beautiful shots.  Here are a few I found:-
Hydrangea petiolaris
Stonecrop

driftwood - nicely rotting
Lilac
Borage still in flower, self-seeded by the front gate
Flowers of the Choisya just opening
Erysium - the wonder plant
Not a big haul, sadly, but mine isn't a very shrubby garden - so I will just have to be satisfied with what I have.

I also dug up some Wallflower plants from their nursery bed at the allotment and planted them in the front garden.  They were really healthy looking plants - whereas, the ones that I planted out a few weeks ago are much smaller and the leaves are full of holes, do flea beetles attack wallflowers?  I love the variety of colours and the fragrance of  them and grow them every year amongst the daffodils and tulips


9 comments:

  1. Debating whether to lift my dahlias Elaine before we have the first frost. Advice always seem to be to let them get frosted once but if you do it's a decidedly chilly job on the fingers when you do lift them. Those blue plastic crates look most familiar :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely series of photos.. I note you have not named the trees... I didn't in my last post either but everyone noticed and made suggestions. I know better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely colourful post! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elaine. Your Borage is so pretty. I have never grown this flower before. Thanks for reminding me that I have not gotten my Dahlias cut and dug up yet. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loads of lovely colour there. I still haven't dug up my dahlias as some still have flowers and we still haven't had a frost. Like you I lost all mine last year, the garage got too cold, so this year I am going to try the loft!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your plants in the fall garden are looking so beautiful. I love the borage photo. And the acer photo is so representative of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amidst all your pretty last blooms, I couldn't tear my eyes away from those gorgeous reds of the village trees. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fall is looking pretty over there. I have been admiring Verbena bonariensis on several blogs. It is going on my plant list for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you did pretty well with the Autumn pics. Would love to have Dahlias but they don't like our heavy soil. Never think of planting Wallflowers then I see them in other people's gardens and wish I had some.

    ReplyDelete