Sunday 31 July 2011

Sweet Charity


Erigeron 'Charity'
 Until we went to the coast of East Yorkshire for a holiday earlier this year I had never come across this plant before.  It was everywhere, hanging over walls, spread out in big masses of this lovely pink flower.  It obviously doesn't mind the salt winds that blow on the coast, and all the plants looked extremely healthy.  So imagine my surprise when visiting a nearby garden centre back at home to find this little clump forming plant.  I was so impressed with it I now have it in pride of place in the garden.  This Erigeron 'Charity' has daisy-like flowers light pink with greenish-yellow centres borne for a long period in summer and is perennial.  It supposedly grows to 2ft. in height but all the plants I saw were low to the ground.   Its common name is Fleabane and it is fully frost-hardy.  It can be propagated by division in spring or early autumn or by seed in autumn.  Apparently it doesn't like winter damp but shouldn't be allowed to dry out during the growing season.  I will have to keep my eye on this little fella', but I think any extra effort will be worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I am charmed! The foliage seems to have a bluish cast in the photo which would make it even more welcome in the SUmmer garden where so much is GREEN right now! And love it's happy bright green center!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This grows on walls all over south-west England! Its a superb plant for rockeries, window boxes, borders, walls and hanging baskets! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete