Sunday 10 July 2011

Sunday is Container Feeding Day

                                                                   Nicotiana

So that I don't forget to feed the plants in pots and containers  Sunday is designated as the day.  Whatever the weather I have never forgotten to do it.  Sunday lunch, a bit of a snooze, then out with the watering can.  I try to keep the number of containers down every year, but it gradually creeps up as I run out of space.  The job takes about an hour.  If I do it in under an hour then I know I haven't done it properly.   There are the pots in the courtyard area for all the summer planting, all the greenhouse crops, outdoor tomatoes, carrots, radishes and lettuce. strawberries - the list goes on.  I sometimes feel that I make life difficult for myself as it is time-consuming - not just the feeding, but the daily watering.   Next year my resolution will be, less container planting , but like every other resolution I make, it will be broken - of that I can be sure.         

3 comments:

  1. I empathise with this. I do the same - I feed my tomatoes and chillis once a week (usually on a Saturday, though). Like so many other things the "No pain, no gain" principle applies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who spends an hour daily watering all her containers. I do it a few weekends when she's away and I'm glad that I don't have to do it daily! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute nicotianas. Mine are reeeeeally gangly and stand about four feet tall. I sympathise about the number of containers growing... glad you have a good routine for getting everything watered and fed!

    ReplyDelete